Bashful Beaver Burn

Well Wildwatchers, you knew all along that patience was key but, when you stake out every night for ten nights and don't see so much as a ripple, it can drive you on to sit an eleventh night! Well, it did me.  

The water is extremely shallow in all rivers & tributaries here. We have had little rain the last month & everything is tinder dry and just waiting on a rogue BBQ or reckless fag butt.  The lack of water should make seeing the Beavers easier.  In theory.  
I postitioned a Trail Cam down there back in Autumn as there was so much tree gnawing on the Burn & even a Beaver trail out of the water on the otherside. So, I knew I was in the right place. I sat, and I waited & waited & waited.  I did this night after night after night. In full cammo. 

Fortunately, there is always something to experience on Ruthven Water. Roe Deer often make a dusky appearance & Dipper often fly or stop by. 
   
Last Saturday, I was sitting in my usual spot looking Northwards up the burn.  I always assumed their lodge was Northbound and hoped for a front on view as one came down stream in patrol of its territory. A behaviour they often undertake at dusk after emerging from the lodge.  The light was fading fast. I had been utilising a perturding rock to check my camera settings, upping the iso with every ten minutes & lowering the shutter speed. 

It was just before 9pm & the sun had been set for nearly ten mins. My flask was empty & I was about to pack up. Then it happened, a Beaver. Right beside me, coming from the other direction, South, with it's back to me.  I slowly picked up my camera, which was nestled on my lap. As I did so, it pivoted around 180degrees so quickly & stared right at me.  We watched each other for a few moments.  My camera struggled to focus but I clicked twice, then slowly put my camera back on my lap. We continued to watch each other, it's nose sniffing the air, breathing in my alien scent. I sat there, motionless straining in the dusky light to see every little detail. It remained there, floating like a log in front of me. There was no tail slapping, no ducking under, no fast swim away. This key stone species tolerated my presence, as long as I stayed perfectly still.  And I did. I remained still until the Beaver moved down stream & sat above the water.  I took my phone out & snapped another image. Then slowly crept away.  
My images are grainy.  But I was just extatic to finally see one here, in the flesh, or fur. 

Two nights later, I decided to go back down  & chance my luck.  Again, around 9pm just as my tea was drunk & I was thinking of packing up, I saw a torpedo under the water. I froze, but my insides began to shake with excitement. I couldn't believe what I was seeing.  An Otter, darting under the water, fishing! 
It came up onto the bank right opposite me. I had to try and get an image.  It heard me, bolted round & we stared at each other.  Just like with the Beaver two nights previously. Not a movement, just watching each other for a good twenty seconds. I was in awe. It is the closest I've ever been to a wild Otter & they are the most beautiful creatures. 
I slowly lifted the camera & managed one snap before it slinked back into the water in silence.  I couldn't believe it. What an encounter.  For another few moments I watched the torpedo darting back & forth past me, under the water as it continued to fish.     
The image is dark & grainy, but I don't care. These images are a reminder of a fantastic Wild Week at Ruthven Water & that patience does reward in glorious snippits of Mother Nature. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Birds & Red Squirrels...

Westwards Pt1.